- Case Studies
Over the 130-year history of the university, Royal Holloway have created an environment where a close-knit community thrives. The campus is one of the most beautiful in the world with numerous teaching and study spaces, bars and cafés, high-quality accommodation, and sports facilities. All this is set in 135 acres of stunning parkland.
System: Metal Modular Ramp Sytem
To overcome access challenges at various locations around the University campus. To remove existing timber ramps which were beginning to decay and no longer fit for purpose, to be replaced with an alternative solution.
Challenges identified at site survey
- Installations were to be completed out of term time.
- Access to certain areas of the campus was difficult and then manual handling of equipment was required to move kits and components to the various locations.
- Removal of soil was well planned so the storage of skips on site could minimised.
- Ensuring each site was safe secure because large numbers of people were still planned on site out of the academic terms.
Identified solutions at survey
- Founders Building Main Entrance: Remove existing timber ramp and replace with galvanised steel ramp, warm touch coated handrails at 1:15 gradient.
- Founders Building North Quad: Install new ramp with 2 x 30-degree offset platforms avoiding stone pillars at 1:15 gradient.
- Munroe Fox: Remove old timber ramp and replace with new modular steel ramp at 1:15 Gradient including stepped access.
All works completed to a high standard and to the requested specification. Client was very happy with finished results at all locations and satisfied with working processes and final execution of all ramp installations.